Resource Center

Advanced Search
Technical Papers
Working Papers
Research Memoranda
GTAP-L Mailing List
GTAP FAQs
CGE Books/Articles
Important References
Submit New Resource

GTAP Resources: Resource Display

GTAP Resource #6416

"European Union (EU) – MERCOSUR Trade Agreement: Implications for U.S. Exports and Market Shares"
by Valdes, Constanza


Abstract
On June 28, 2019, the European Union (EU) and the South American trading bloc composed of Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay known as the MERCOSUR finalized negotiations for a trade agreement. This trade agreement encompasses 22 percent of the world’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2021, close to 25 percent of global trade, and includes over 780 million people. The agreement will eliminate 93 percent of tariffs for MERCOSUR exports to the EU, while offering preferential treatment for the remaining 7 percent. The agreement creates tariff-rate quotas (TRQs) for selected EU agricultural exports to MERCOSUR. The agreement also includes stricter production standards related to climate change that will require commitments—from Brazil in particular—to enforce environmental protections of the Amazonia. This paper will assess the impact of the EU-MERCOSUR trade agreement on global agricultural trade and the competitiveness of U.S. agricultural exports going forward. The United States exports over $15 billion annually in agricultural products to the EU and competes with MERCOSUR in the EU market. This paper will also assess the impact of the tariff reductions under the EU-MERCOSUR trade deal on U.S exports of soybeans, feeds, beef and beef products, ethanol, and tobacco.


Resource Details (Export Citation) GTAP Keywords
Category: 2021 Conference Paper
Status: Not published
By/In: Presented during the 24th Annual Conference on Global Economic Analysis (Virtual Conference)
Date: 2021
Version:
Created: Valdes, C. (4/16/2021)
Updated: Valdes, C. (4/16/2021)
Visits: 354
- Preferential trading arrangements
- European Union
- South America


Attachments
If you have trouble accessing any of the attachments below due to disability, please contact the authors listed above.


Public Access
  File format Paper  (219.0 KB)   Replicated: 0 time(s)


Restricted Access
No documents have been attached.


Special Instructions
No instructions have been specified.


Comments (0 posted)
You must log in before entering comments.

No comments have been posted.